Saturday, October 23, 2010

Speed Rounds, Part Zwei

Enjoyed these rounds a lot more--I think it really had to do with being more fully in control of the style/content. Here, you weren't mimicking or trying to fit ideas into something rigorous; rather, the only thing that changed were perspectives. I like writing from perspectives, and these exercises really showed me that there are tons more perspectives I can write from, especially in terms of relationship poems, then just the male's or female's. I took the long list of rules as only applicable to the "First" round where we chose the perspective ourselves, so if these same sort of rules (such as possible nested stories/physical clues) were to apply to the other perspective--oops.

Anyway, I got a lot of good mileage in the exercises, and most will readily become solid first drafts. There are a few I need to complete more in terms of my mastertape (which means, usually, the addition of something science-y, Christian-y, or both), but boy did some of the poems go places I did not expect in the beginning. That first poem, plus my authority figure, mother, current/ex-romantic partner, and ghost feel most immediately resonant--the child, maybe given more time, and the same with favorite author and stomach gut. I think this once again affirms my "like" of constraints, so long as the constraints do not impact my style.

I think that's it for now--I may or may not write about the Gurlesque.

-Glenn

---

Chevelle - Letter From A Theif

I was obsessed with this song during the summer. I should probably pick up a Chevelle cd eventually, as dude has a sick voice. As comparison, Chevelle is very much like Tool/A Perfect Circle (especially vocal-wise) without the artistic...largesse? of the aforementioned bands. Or, another way to look at Chevelle is as an even poppier version of APC. Hm. I think I more immediately connected to this song as when I hear songs, it triggers other song memories, as x will sound like y--in this case, the chorus of the song reminded me, somehow, of Mr. Big's "Take Cover."

1 comment:

  1. Really glad you got so much out of these exercises. Can't wait to see some of them.

    ReplyDelete