Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Visuaaaaaaaaaal

So, I'm getting back in the groove of things--expect at least two updates in the coming days. For now, the visual representation of my mastertape which took the form of...a flier.

I have a stranger fascination with fliers--I just like seeing the combination of the written and visual. I'm especially drawn to music fliers--the latest show, cd release, something that has to be highly stylized and immediate. I was stuck on this for a while. As stated in a previous entry, I was thinking in too many directions, and somehow (I don't remember now--probably would have been a nice tie in), I got the image for the following:


What struck me, aside from it's flierness, is the establishment it represents--something from my hometown that is no longer in existence (but, was revived in the movie 8 Mile, but that's another issue altogether). I aped the style but tried to make it as applicable to my project as I could, keeping in mind the main theme (relationship) and how to navigate that theme (the simultaneity of music, science, and Christian imagery). The establishment became "Fish & Chips Music Bar"--I really like the name. Fish is highly symbolic in Christianity; computers (science) run on chips; music bar overtly states music. I also like the slogan I used: "The perfect place to meet, greet, and see what happens next!" I think this sort of lyric fragment/aphorism accurately explains what I've been attempting to do with each work. I don't want the relationships I discuss to be monotonous variations on a bedroom theme, so I like the openness of "seeing what happens next," whether this is something good (like a hookup, proposal, solidifying of a friendship) or something bad (break-up/divorce, loss, or something maybe even darker). The actual visual elements (aside from the fish) I had issues with--I used an existent image as source--this one:


It was crude--some liked the "rawness" of it, but especially since the image is color, that adds additional layers that may be fun. I think I was just being cheap and not wanting to waste color ink, but maybe it's worth it.

As notes for myself (per feedback), I have:
-Use a more archaic/"Jesus Font"
I like this; I want to use Greek, but I have an issue with using Greek as I know what letters are supposed to mean (I smirk at the stylized logo for the ABC Family show Greek, as it literally spells G-R-S-S-K--I think Tom would appreciate that, though). I do have some Old English fonts on my computer (junicode), that may yield an "older" feel to it that will add gravity to the icthus.
-Use Actual Picture
Done and done--my photo manip skills are shit; you don't have to tell me twice
-Use the map on the flier more constructive a la 99 Ways
I like this--there is a small issue with it's relative size and what to put as streets (I guess types of relationships, e.g., "Benefit Lane" would work)...well, I guess that will work. See what typing out ideas will get ya!
-Why chai?
I love chai; I don't even know how it fits, considering the "live music" aspect; maybe I'll find a picture of my playing acoustic, and that will echo the sort of lo-fi/indie-ish feel people, I guess, ascribe when seeing chai advertisted. I guess this dovetails, too, with one person's response (I think it was Jessica) who said the feel was of a "Jesus Band"--I happen to listen to a lot of what's Christcore (which are, for the most part, metal bands that who are open with their faith), and you'd be surprised how many do not fit that "JESUS IS LOOOOOOVE" mode that some may ascribe given the state of contemporary Christian music.

Consider the difference between



and



yeah. but, it is what it is.

I'm excited to re-engage with it...I would like to make it sufficiently bad-ass.

More to come (I promise).

-Glenn

---

So, in terms of current songs, I'll spread them over the next entries. For this one, to balance the "rockness" of the above links, I'll give some "r&bness":

Usher ft. Jay-Z

I'll forgive the fact that the beat sounds, at times, very like the beat to Jay-Z's "On to the Next One," but it's an interesting turn Usher has taken since his divorce--it's like a conscious decision to shed his "good boy" image, one that may have been haunting him since he hit the scene circa the age of 16. This, along with songs like "Little Freak" and "Daddy's Home" do very much go for sex. I don't know, just catchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment