Sunday, February 13, 2011

On the DL, first half

Eh. I'm a bit disappointed. The prose is well-written and authentic, but the way the book was billed...I was expecting more empirical (or, should I say, traditional) research. Most of the "research" I've seen so far has been dude's personal experience (which is chockful of ethos, so that's not a problem), but there are opportunities to really drive home the prose with some numbers, and a lot of these opportunities, I feel, are missed.

The main issue with DL behavior has nothing, really, to do with a morality. There are issues concerning why black men choose to be DL instead of endorsing a sexuality (which, again, is another whole topic about sexuality re: born or learned behavior), but the main point King wants to discuss are the outcomes: mainly, the spread of HIV/AIDS to the black community via this behavior. He's not saying this is the only reason for increase in disease, but the foundation of any good prevention program is education, and ignoring that DL behavior is going home seems silly, in his opinion.

DL behavior in a nutshell: for one reason or another (mainly, the reactions from different sectors of life [church, family, current partners, etc]), black males who have sex with other black males do not speak. By saying something, it makes it real that they may be gay, and heaven forbid you be gay in the black community (this is not meant to be flippant--really, that seems to be the still-running feeling in the black community: it's better to be closeted then go against the other strong, black brothers who've come before you by being a "weak" person: homosexual). Anyway, part of this outcome is safe sex--planning accordingly (having condoms) means you're actively seeking this, which makes it even more evident that the homosexual sex acts are, indeed, homosexual sex acts, not just impulse decisions via external factors like drugs/alcohol, or just needing to "get off." So, you roll the unprotected sex dice, and then if you get burned, literally, you pass it to your heterosexual partner. Again, getting tested would be another admission of homosexual guilt, so dudes may carry diseases that become bigger issues simply because "common sense" preventative measures can't be used because of the complexity of issues that arise from facing the "am I gay" question.

Anyway, if King's point is preventative stuff, I think the use of stats, not necessarily whole sections devoted to studies but more concrete information besides generalizations or solipsisms, will do him well. Spreading of disease: show it. List of issues that prevent blacks from coming out, empirically: show it. "Risky" behavior stats for blacks: show it. There's only so much your own experience or anecdotal information from interviewees can do; saying that the goal of this book is to give readers a "clearer picture of what a DL brother looks like," and saying on the back cover that it "Deliver[s] the first frank and thorough investigation of lie 'on the down low'," I just expected a more diverse use of investigation techniques. Maybe, for a project like this, the anecdote is sufficient evidence. But at times, it really feels ideas would have gained that much more in terms of pop by not slipping into a generalization or only one person's experience.

How is this changing me, currently? It's very interesting to see how my community "works"--I mean, I generally understood the subject, but the anecdotes become more and more telling as I can begin to see myself, facets of my self, or people I know in the situation. The centrality of the black church in regards to life is so interesting, as it really becomes an institution akin to a university. There isn't just Sunday school--there are choirs, usher boards, and various other ministries or auxiliaries to serve in. Your life, it seems, to be based more in church than out of it, so your church becomes your family so x more eyes are on you. It's easy to see the pressure involved there--again, with so much filtering through church, when something "bad" happens to you, it spreads quickly, and in the case of homosexuality and the biblical stance of it, what do you do when you are kicked out from your family. Such a "simple" issue (and a "simple" solution) is really so much more complicated than its given credit for. Homosexuality is less about "immoral" choices in the black community, but essentially, how these feelings let down a whole community. Is this the same for other races? I don't know. I'm black. I can really only speak from my experience growing up baptist and being around in that sort of culture (thought I wasn't required to be so active in church like other young black folks I know are). Something I think would be interesting to see is how this functions for preacher kids, as the microscope is even more on them. King is the son of a deacon, which is up there on the church hierarchy, but it is not it's head--how do you maintain a congregation, who is family, when your own family is off the chain.

Really, this book is about decision-making, and very much about chaos theory in practice: so much is depending on the proverbial red wheelbarrow in the black community--so much depends on everything being status quo, sexually. Other things can be "combated" by prayer: finances, heterosexual relationships, other opportunities, things in-line with biblical teaching. Breaking this mold seems to result in less, not more love, which breeds a cycle of deception that has an escalating scale of danger.

Geez, talk in circles much, Glenn?

---

Some positive hip hop to balance the...questionable earlier choice. I've been getting into The Roots lately, partially because their drummer (yes, they are a live band--no djs on stage, live instruments, real energy, etc) ?uestlove is just likable, and there's something refreshing about live instruments and how that sort of dynamism impacts outcome versus pro tools/autotune/fixed perfection of midi. Anyway, they may be best known for the track "You Got Me" (which is, I feel, part of the reason why Erykah Badu became famous for singing the hook...but she wasn't the original [Jill Scott was], but if I'm remembering correctly, the label felt Erykah was better known which they felt would work in songs favor [which, I think it did]), or being "that house band" on Jimmy Fallon, but it's just refreshing. And all ambiguity aside, some tunage:





3 comments:

  1. May I ask why this particular issue (living on the DL) seems important enough to you to warrant your investigation right now? Do you feel like you have friends in this life?

    I agree about statistics, of course. They are certainly needed. Is that not anywhere in this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and...I love the Roots. Did you know they do a kids' song on this show we like with our kids: Yo Gabba Gabba (the whole show has a Parliment/Funkadelic/Banana Splits 70s vibe)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fmg_OYn6IA

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main issue is that it seems black culture, at least mainstream black culture, seems so much more behind. It feels like we're too focused on "concrete" advancements (read: nice cars, homes, etc) that we forget that there are social issues besides racism affecting us. Even when I was young, when I first hit middle school (which, for my school, was fifth grade), you'd be surprised (or not) just how much homophobia/homophobic slurs are ingrained in the community. Everything that wasn't supporting the "black agenda" (which was usually stereotypes presented via a source like BET) turned out to be "gay" or "for fags"--I can't say I know anyone on the DL, because a) a vast majority of my friends are white, and if they are gay, they have already identified as such and b) the whole issue of being gay = the worst thing you can do if you're black. I just think if we, as black people, constantly preach (both literally and figuratively) about being fair/welcoming of others, we can't just limit that scope to race, as there is much more to a person besides skin color. I guess if I figured if I knew more in-depth the why (in terms of why those remain in the DL do), in terms of more concretes, I could better understand the situation as a whole. As I said, most things I know are "instinct"/based on observed culture, and I feel that if anyone wants to "change" how blacks navigate their sexuality, they need to have a more nuanced/less knee-jerk reaction to those that fall outside of societal norms.

    I always feel I talk in circles if I write in an "Academic" voice, so basically, I wanted to know why so much is tied to black sexual identity, if my ideas are/were grounded in actual research versus "livedsearch," and possible solutions that could be gleaned/avenues for honest dialogue beyond, literally, don't ask/don't tell.

    And you like the roots? to you have there new jawn?

    ReplyDelete