Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Heart "One with Others" So Hard

Man. Such a good read. I think this might be the case where the form is "perfect" for the content, or maybe where the content directly inspired form. I'm sure there are tons of other books about the American Civil Right's movement, but because this focuses on one event, one so local, it feels almost...personal. The fragments really have the feel of multiple voices, but there is a certain clarity that rings through as characters (is that the right word?) are revealed/gain depth throughout. I'm kind of disappointed there was a "real" explanation at the end of who, in reality, the people were, as I think the mythic status people like "The Invader" has works well when there is a certain air of mystery to them, but I could also understand the need to actually discuss these real movers and shakers for this walk. I'm also kind of disappointed there was a page 51, but I could see how that may have been "too cute" for this kind of project, and with such gravitas, tongue-in-cheek doesn't work to well.

This book definitely goes up to 11. And it was interesting that E L-S was a huge fan. I may have to check out some of her other books. Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment