Sunday, November 7, 2010

Speed Rounds, three.

Really enjoyed doing each of these activities. I think for workshop, I will bring in my work (would poem be accurate?) based on Nate M's source. Other than that, it was interesting doing Nate B's exercise, as my handwriting already looks like I'm drunkenly trying to tattoo with my left hand (I'm right handed) in faux Sanskrit. I write very slanty when I'm not looking, and accordions popped into it. I've already noted my enjoyment of Perrin's source (I did write a program and was going to send it, but gmail is weird about what you can send [the end file is .exe], and Perrin himself had trouble running it). Maybe I'll just post the source code? It was interesting doing Kat's poem, as it reminds me of some of my earlier work (and by earlier work, my poem about a blue monster in fifth grade). Todd's was interesting for the fact that I tend not to write in fragments (and it was interesting trying to distill my mastertape into relatively succinct ideas). Is that everyone? Maybe? I dig collaborative work, so I enjoyed when we worked together (and by we, I mean the class).

In terms of being assign Joyce--I can understand why. I'm obsessed with precision and coherence--Finnegan's Wake (or, maybe more specifically, the excerpt given to me) relies on things that my poetry is not known for. From my notes, I noted (before writing) that the writing was "dense, German-esque language. Sound. Pattern. Spoonerisms. Nonsense?" For the German-esque, I just thought about the prevalence (or ease) with which German words become acceptable compounds. Writing in this mode helped "free" me from my own confines, if only a little bit. Afterwords, I saw that I mostly wanted to work with plays or texts in which weird things happen, and I think that's my attraction to narrative/sense coming back--the exchange of dialogue, even if heady, is pushing towards some goal, whether it's a revisionist look at a fairy tell or trying to accurately translate/transcribe real speech (a la Mamet/Mametspeak). Haven't written in response yet to Mamet, but will soon.

In terms of versions, this brings me up to approximately 24 versions of my mastertape throughout the semester. Wow, that's a lot of writing.

-Glenn

---

Yes - Siberian Khatru

Staying in a prog vein, some good ol' Yes. The main theme/riff reminds me simultaneously of early Genesis/Nintendo games (a very definite Sonic feel), but at the same time, feels very anthemic. I keep using anthem or some form of it to describe songs I like--I need a thesaurus.

I think I may actually post songs that I've written in response to/used as inspiration/name dropped in poems--it's really obsessive, like, very literally.

1 comment:

  1. I think the Joyce was not particularly German (though I see where you get that with all the compound words); I think he was trying to replicate Irish slang and dialect and drunken speech. But in any case, yes, you got why I gave it to you (and I also thought it'd be a "game" you'd enjoy, a challenge). And I'm so glad you've been doing so much writing and liked the group work.

    Love the Yes.

    ReplyDelete