Friday, September 10, 2010

Poem

Well...that was interesting. I started writing after loading the dishwasher--opened up my windows media player, put it on "repeat," and pressed play to The-Dream's "Panties to the Side." I keyed in on a phrase on the pre-chorus, "If you get tired of faking it: call me."

Obviously, the poem went in a very sexual manner, but I don't feel it's too gratuitous. The song itself is all about bravado, with basically is establishing/repeating how The-Dream will quench any/every sexual desires the target female has. He tries to differentiate himself and his qualities in the bedroom without too much in terms of the vulgar. The basic scene is approaching a girl in a club and "running game" on her, hoping to bring her home. In the same sort of way, my poem focused on this same sort of "game," with the speaker trying to establish himself as "ripe" for the sexual picking for his desired object. It took a good...5 repeat listens to really get going--I got a few lines (mostly, the beginning) while loading said dishwasher, but a lot of the time, I had my eyes closed, leaning back in the chair, and wondering "what comes next"?

My process is writing a full draft in a Moleskein with a Pilot Precise black ink pen--I try not to cross anything out when generating, but sometimes, I'll use brackets to indicate stuff I know I immediately want to remove upon first revision. Looking down, I don't see any brackets, but I do have a feeling of stuff I would like to trim. From there, I'll type it on my computer as one block text--this will be the "template" file, and I will eventually name it/put it in a correspondingly named folder within the "poetry" section of my computer. From there, I will copy the document itself and begin revisions, each round getting its own "document." This way, I don't "lose" anything if I want to revisit "old" information in "newer" drafts, and it gives me an additional way to track my work aside from the Excel spreadsheet I set up.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the "poem" thus far--it was, again, an interesting experience, but it felt especially weird to compose with my rules in mind, as these more generally come innately versus a kind of "check" method I employed. In fact, I think it may have slowed me down, as I was trying to make sure I hit every note of the list versus just going with the flow.

Bleh.

-Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment